Saturday, January 3, 2009

Far from the Fields We Know

Most Arthurian games leave Spenser more or less out of it. I had to include him. Frankly, I love Spenser, and one of the reasons I love him so much is because he is so damn difficult. Also, he was an incredible Arthur geek. I did not realize the extent to which he was an Arthur geek until I discovered King Ryons in Book III, and realized that this was the same Ryons who battles Arthur in the Prose Merlin.

Anyhow, my conception of the world of Faerie in Arthur Lives! is one part Spenser, one part Shakespeare, and one part Dunsany. And a little bit of Wagner, because I don't know Wagner as well. Maybe Dunsany doesn't really belong, because he's too late and doesn't talk about Arthur anyway, but darnit, he's just too good. People should read more Dunsany, dammit.

Faerie can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment