Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Kill Shakespeare

My latest article is out.

It's at ImageTexT, a wonderful journal published by the University of Florida. I remember when this journal started, and I have wanted to be published in it since that day, so this is kind of a six-year career milestone for me. I'm deeply indebted to Katherine Shaeffer and Richard Burt for including me.

The issue is organized around the special topic of Shakespeare and Visual Rhetoric. Shakespeare's connection to comics has been a special interest of mine for a long while now; I briefly even tried to organize an essay collection on the topic. I eventually realized that perhaps I ought to finish my dissertation before doing any essay collections, and the work I was going to put in that collection wound up as the fourth chapter of my diss.

For this issue, I focused on "Kill Shakespeare," a 12-issue series published in 2010-2011. It's a very interesting work which earned both condemnation and praise when it was published but which, in my opinion, has not gotten credit for the very interesting ways it goes about defending its own existence, the nature of meta-text, and revisionism in general. I had a lot of fun writing it and I'm indebted to the original authors and artists who cooperated with me by sending me original scripts to a few issues I wanted to examine in detail.

You can read the entire issue on Shakespeare and Visual Rhetoric here.

And my article is here: "These are not our Father's Words: Kill Shakespeare's Defense of the Meta-Text"

1 comment:

  1. I hope you can publish some of the pieces online for us to read them. And I think it would be a good idea to finish your master dissertation so that you can start collection essay on the same topic. Anyway, love to read what your written if you can provide some of it online.

    ReplyDelete