Wednesday, December 17, 2008

AL Update: Secret History

I have begun work on the Secret History behind Arthur Lives! I have an old draft of this, but it needs to be greatly expanded and improved upon. So far, I have been able to come up with a pretty good way to explain the magical Arthurian age itself, as compared to the historical Arthur. That is, there's an explanation for why we have plate armor and jousting in 6th century Britain. Some of this began as a riff on Greg Stafford's Pendragon game, but Stafford himself was working off a kernel in Malory and the Lancelot-Grail, so I consider it parallel development rather than outright theft.

Now I realize I have a hole in my history, between Arthur's escape to Avalon in the 6th century and the rise of John Dee and his Occult Imperialism in the 16th. The logical place to play here is the 12th century, which saw not only the work of Chretien and said Vulgate Cycle but also the founding of the Templars. Every conspiracy ultimately rests on the Templars; you don't need Eco to tell you that. But I'm not sure what to do with that time period. I'm confident something will come to me. It's just waiting for me to look the other way first.

No comments:

Post a Comment